Our Annual Apple Pie Contest is back!
Saturday, October 14 (RAIN DATE OCTOBER 21)
8:30 – 9:45 AM: Pie Drop-off
10:00 – 11:00 AM: Judging
11:00 AM: Winners announced
Pies go on sale at the conclusion of the awards ceremony.
Join the fun! Enter to win a canvas tote full of Market goodies and a medal proclaiming your pie to be the best in the land of Pleasantville.HOW TO ENTER
We encourage you to pre-register your pie using the entry form. If you submit the entry form and pay by Oct. 7, you will receive $5.00 in Market Bucks (which can be used as cash anywhere in our Market) when you bring your pie on Oct. 14.
If you choose to register on the day of the contest, bring your pie and $5 entry fee to the Manager’s Tent between 8:30 and 9:45 am on October 14. You can save time by filling out your Entry Form in advance.
Enter your pie in one of three categories:
- Traditional Two-Crust Apple Pie
- Decorative Two-Crust Apple Pie
- Apple Crisp
Bakers, please note the following rules:
- No entries from vendors, board members, volunteers, judges or their immediate families (parents, children, or siblings).
- Winners and household members from the 2022 Apple Pie Contest are ineligible to participate.
- Pies must be dropped off at the Market by 9:45 am on Oct. 14.
- A full list of ingredients is required (no measurements necessary).
- All pies must be made from scratch. No store-bought crusts or fillings.
- One entry per household.
- Amateur bakers only.
- Apples must be the main filling ingredient. Do NOT use raisins or other fruits. Nuts are NOT allowed as a filling ingredient, but can be used in the crust if needed for a gluten-free pie.
- Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Rules violations may be cause for your pie to be deemed ineligible for participation, at the sole discretion of Pleasantville Farmers Market.
- Pies will be judged on texture, taste, and appearance.
- Three winners in each category will receive a medal and a Pleasantville Farmers Market canvas tote filled with Market goodies, as well as bragging rights.
- The judges’ scores will not be distributed to participants.
- Pick up your non-disposable pie plate when the contest is over.
- After the awards are distributed, shoppers will be invited to purchase a delicious slice of pie ($3 per slice, $5 for two).
- A “Traditional Two-Crust Pie” has a single, flat, rolled top crust with no decorations or designs, other than air vents, if desired. Any designs, such as leaves, stars, or checkerboards, will put the pie into the Decorative Two-Crust Pie category. Apple Crisp has a streusel topping and no bottom crust. These definitions ensure that pies are judged within their “peer group.”
All proceeds support the service award program for Market interns. Thank you!