JOB POSTING: DAY MANAGER, PLEASANTVILLE FARMERS MARKET
Start Date: ASAP
Title: Day Manager
Commitment: 10-12 hours per week, mostly on Saturday (In-Person)
Seasonality: Hours may be scaled back during winter months, December – March
The Day Manager supports the mission and operations of the Pleasantville Farmers Market, which is operated by Foodchester, Inc., a Pleasantville-based non-profit organization. The Market is the largest year-round farmers market in the region, with about 60 vendors, and has won “Best of Westchester” 10 times in a row. We have one of the highest rates of owner representation, and as a result, the Market attracts devoted “foodies” from around the county and region, who see PFM as a destination to connect directly with farmers and small-batch food artisans. The Market is one of the defining events of the Village, along with an annual music festival and the 5-screen art house cinema, the Jacob Burns Film Center. It operates year-round outdoors in Memorial Plaza, with a full schedule of music, culinary, health and sustainability, kids, and community events during the summer months. At its peak, the Market attracts upwards of 3,000 shoppers per week.
As the Market has grown, we have identified the need for regular, part-time support to our management team. The position includes assisting with the set-up and breakdown of the Market every Saturday (4:30 / 5:00 am to 2:00 / 3:00 pm), oversight of vendors, engaging with the public as host, ensuring compliance with market rules, managing volunteer customer coaches and operations interns, and teamwork with all staff to successfully implement logistics and themes to assure a smooth and safe market. There are physical requirements for this position (details below). Works under the general supervision of the Market Manager.
- Assist the Market Manager in implementing market set-up and logistics:
- Unload and reload sheds of all materials needed to support municipal, volunteer, vendor, and shopper needs.
- Stage elements of vendor queue systems (rods, cones, signs).
- Direct municipal (DPW) employees and support market volunteers in a variety of set-up, break-down, or market operations goals.
- Ensure vendors comply with food safety standards and safety protocol.
- Enforce market rules (e.g., no smoking, no dogs, etc.) and respond to customer or vendors’ needs; attend to and/or report grievances (involving customers or vendors) or accidents.
- Supervise and coordinate vendors and volunteers to ensure safety as vendor vehicles enter/depart and oversee orderly breakdown and storage of all market equipment and collateral.
- Potential assistance with special Market programs – like SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), music, culinary events.
- Assist in tracking and reporting weekly attendance estimates.
- Ability to start early workday (4:30 am/5:00 am) and work every (or most every) Saturday in all weather conditions, year-round. (Note: hours spent outside in winter months are shorter due to limited operating hours and no scheduled events.)
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Reliable, punctual, mature, organized, and cheerful.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, ability to multitask, and own processes through to completion.
- People and operational management experience, including working with multiple constituencies/stakeholders and able to coach/provide feedback to team members.
- Knowledge of, passion for, and/or experience in local food systems, food distribution, the importance of local farms, and/or farmers markets.
- Previous retail or customer service experience.
- Have use of a smartphone.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree.
- First aid and CPR training are a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
The immediate need we are seeking to fill is the role described: hands-on operational support in the PFM. The successful candidate will be trained in all elements of our logistics, operational policies, hospitality, safety, and event management. Once proficiency is demonstrated, there are growth opportunities in terms of both scope (hours) and salary for candidates with additional skills in the areas of graphic and website design, including HTML, social media, website, and social analytics, office management (process design and implementation, workflows, Google forms). Over time, some or all of these proficiencies could boost the position to 18-22 hours per week and salary up to $35/ hour.
- Hourly rate: $25
How To Apply:
- Please submit your resume and a cover note indicating your interest in the position and explaining why you are the ideal candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Day Manager.”
Please note: Foodchester, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Foodchester, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, and training.
Foodchester, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Foodchester, Inc.’s employees, volunteers, or vendors to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.